Monday, August 1, 2011

I am finally getting around to writing my FIRST official blog as Miss South Carolina! Tomorrow will be a month since my big win and I cannot explain the exciting feeling that resides over me everyday since becoming Miss South Carolina. From the moment that I won, I knew my life would be forever changed. Although I knew it would change, I would have never imagined exactly how much it actually would. The Monday after winning I got the phone call from my director that caused me to cry tears of joy, do a happy dance (which by the way I can't dance so you can only imagine...Pretty funny stuff!!), and immediately start packing for NYC! I was heading to appear on Good Morning America and The Today Show! But, I didn't exactly get this media attention for winning Miss South Carolina alone, it was because I had done something that you don't necessarily hear of a pageant winner doing...Losing over 110 lbs. As a obese teen I realized after having knee pains and several health issues that it was time to change my life forever! I began to educate myself on the things I was eating and joined a gym. But, it wasn't as simple as those two things sound. There were days that I wanted to give up on everything and just say... FORGET IT! But, I kept reminding myself of the person I wanted to be. I wanted to be the healthy, happy, and successful person I had always imagined myself to be. I couldn't achieve those things by being unhealthy and that's what motivated me to keep going. If you are ever in a situation where you want to give up just take two minutes to remind yourself: Why you are doing this, who do you ultimately want to be, and how will your life turn out if you don't continue on the path towards success.

I look forward to a year of service to my state and hopefully another year of service as Miss America 2012. My platform "Eating Healthy and Fighting Obesity" has only scratched the surface! There is no stopping my platform as it is much needed in the world today. Obesity rates are only growing and it is my goal to partner and network with others who also want to see the rising numbers drop and to combat the obesity epidemic once and for all!

My blogs will consist of delicious and healthy recipes that I enjoy, fun exercises to get you up and moving, motivating words, and my journey as Miss SC 2011!

Please feel free to comment and ask me anything! I promise to get back to you as soon as possible...

:)

Many blessings and success to you all!

2 comments:

BEHarris02314 said...

I just want to say you are a HUGE inspiration. I haven't mastered my battle with obesity but everytime I feel those depressing/negative thoughts your story comes to mind. Thank you for pushing through those tough times because for your hard work you have unknowingly given hope to people you don't even know.

I will definitely be an avid reader of your blogs,etc. Thank you Bree for your determination, love, and passion to help those caught in this vicious trap.

Lisa said...

You are truly an inspiration to us with obesity problems!!! I have been overweight most of my life but hearing your story has really got me motivated this time to do something. I look forward to seeing your recipes and all on your blog. You have truly got me going on my diet again. Thank you so much for all that you are doing :)